This page covers the archaeology of Island Southeast Asia as a whole, but you can find more details about the different countries in their respective pages, or explore the Resource Guide for thematic areas. There’s also the Virtual Archaeology page where you can visit Southeast Asian archaeological sites online, learn something from the Online Lecture Library, or find recent academic papers for more up-to-date research.
These books are relevant to the archaeology and history of Island Southeast Asia, and the list below is my personal recommendation based on what I have in my library or have read. Newer books are higher up on the list. Some of these links are affiliate links and I may receive a commission if you click on them and make a purchase. For other sources of reliable academic information, you should also check out the books page for latest releases and the occassional free book, as well as the journals page for the latest scientific research.
- Seaways and Gatekeepers: Trade and State in the Eastern Archipelagos of Southeast Asia, c.1600–c.1906 by Heather Sutherland
- The Archaeology of Island Colonization: Global Approaches to Initial Human Settlement by Matthew F. Napolitano, Jessica H. Stone and Robert J. DiNapoli
- Forts and Fortification in Wallacea: Archaeological and Ethnohistoric Investigations by Sue O’Connor, Andrew McWilliam and Sally Brockwell (Eds.) [Open Access]
- Empire of the Winds: The Global Role of Asia’s Great Archipelago by Philip Bowring
- Eyes of the Ancestors: The Arts of Island Southeast Asia at the Dallas Museum of Art by Reimar Schefold and Steven G. Alpert (Ed.)
- The Archaeology of Portable Art: Southeast Asian, Pacific, and Australian Perspectives by Michelle Langley, Mirani Litster, Duncan Wright and Sally K May (Eds.)
- First Islanders: Prehistory and Human Migration in Island Southeast Asia by Peter Bellwood
- Early Kingdoms of the Indonesian Archipelago and the Malay Peninsula by Paul Michel Munoz
- Intertidal History in Island Southeast Asia: Submerged Genealogy and the Legacy of Coastal Capture by Jennifer L. Gaynor
- The Annotated Malay Archipelago by Alfred Russel Wallace
- Art Beyond the West: The Arts of Africa, West and Central Asia, India and Southeast Asia, China, Japan and Korea, the Pacific, Africa, and the Americas by Michael Kampen-O’Riley
- Prehistory of the Indo-Malaysian Archipelago by Peter Bellwood [Open Access Download here]
Most Popular in Island Southeast Asia
Island Southeast Asia News Archive
The news reports indexed below usually link to external sites that were active at the time of posting; sometimes websites may be temporarily down or may have reorganised their underlying architecture or have even closed down – in these cases the links may not be available. Most of the news articles archived are in English; this is largely because I do not have a working competency in other languages, although when I am made aware of stories other languages I try to index them.
Looking for something specific? You can also use this search box: