Archive of news reports related to the archaeology and heritage of the areas peripheral to Southeast Asia, territories such as (but not limited to) India, Sri Lanka, Southern and Southwest China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Papua New Guinea and Australia. News reports are curated in relation to their relevance to Southeast Asian Archaeology.
To cite this page: Tan, Noel Hidalgo (Updated 29 November 2021) Peripheral Southeast Asia. Southeast Asian Archaeology. Available at: https://www.southeastasianarchaeology.com/peripheral-southeast-asia/
This page covers the archaeology of “peripheral” Southeast Asia, and you can find more details about the different countries in their respective pages, or explore the Resource Guide for thematic areas. There’s also the Virtual Archaeology page where you can visit Southeast Asian archaeological sites online, learn something from the Online Lecture Library, or find recent academic papers for more up-to-date research.
These books are relevant to the archaeology and history of the peripheral areas of Southeast Asia such as South Asia, East Asia and Oceania. The list below is my personal recommendation based on what I have in my library, have read, or want to read myself. Newer books are higher up on the list. Some of these links are affiliate links and I may receive a commission if you click on them and make a purchase. For other sources of reliable academic information, you should also check out the books page for latest releases and the occassional free book, as well as the journals page for the latest scientific research.
- Coastal Shrines and Transnational Maritime Networks across India and Southeast Asia by Himanshu Prabha Ray
- The Archaeology of Knowledge Traditions of the Indian Ocean World by Himanshu Prabha Ray (Ed.)
- Archaeologies of Island Melanesia: Current approaches to landscapes, exchange and practice by Mathieu Leclerc and James Flexner (Eds.) [Open Access here]
- Debating Lapita: Distribution, Chronology, Society and Subsistence by Stuart Bedford and Matthew Spriggs (Eds.) [Open Access]
- Prehistoric Maritime Cultures and Seafaring in East Asia by Chunming Wu and Barry Vladimir Rolett (Ed.)
- New Frontiers in the Neolithic Archaeology of Taiwan (5600–1800 BP): A Perspective of Maritime Cultural Interaction by Su-chiu Kuo
- Art and Archaeology of Ancient India: Earliest Times to the Sixth Century by Naman P. Ahuja
- History of Bangladesh: Early Bengal in Regional Perspectives (up to C. 1200 CE) (Set of 2 Volumes): Vol. 1: Archaeology, Political History, Polity. Vol. 2: Society, Economy, Culture by Abdul Momin Cowdury and Ranabir Chakravarti
- Records, Recoveries, Remnants and Inter-Asian Interconnections: Decoding Cultural Heritage by Anjana Sharma (Ed.)
- First Islanders: Prehistory and Human Migration in Island Southeast Asia by Peter Bellwood
- Handbook of East and Southeast Asian Archaeology by Junko Habu, Peter V. Lape and John W. Olsen (Eds.)
- New Perspectives in Southeast Asian and Pacific Prehistory by Philip J. Piper, Hirofumi Matsumura and David Bulbeck (Eds.) [Open Access here]
- Spirits and Ships: Cultural Transfers in Early Monsoon Asia by Andrea Acri, Roger Blench and Alexandra Landmann (Eds.)
- Sri Lanka at the Crossroads of History by Zoltán Biedermann and Alan Strathern (Eds.)
- Ming China and Vietnam: Negotiating Borders in Early Modern Asia by Kathlene Baldanza
- A Companion to South Asia in the Past by Gwen Robbins Schug and Subhash R. Walimbe (Eds.)
- Ancient China and the Yue: Perceptions and Identities on the Southern Frontier, c.400 BCE–50 CE by Erica Fox Brindley
- Captain Linnaeus Tripe: Photographer of India and Burma, 1852-1860 by Roger Taylor and Crispin Branfoot
- The art and archaeology of Sri Lanka 1 by Luxshmanan Nadaraja
- Southwest Archaeology in China by Zhang Zeng Qi
- Archaeology of Ancient Yunnan: Sichuan influence in the transformation of the Shizhaishan culture by Po-yi Chiang
- Archaeology of Asia by Miriam T. Stark
- Archaeology of Hong Kong by William Meacham
- Art Beyond the West: The Arts of Africa, West and Central Asia, India and Southeast Asia, China, Japan and Korea, the Pacific, Africa, and the Americas by Michael Kampen-O’Riley
- Arts of the South Seas: Island Southeast Asia, Melanesia, Polynesia, Micronesia. The Collections of the Musée Barbier-Mueller by Douglas Newton (Ed.)
- Ancient Bangladesh: A Study of the Archaeological Sources with an Update on Bangladesh Archaeology, 1999-2000 by Dilip K. Chakrabarti
Most Popular Posts
The online course 'Rock Art of Southeast Asia and the World' organised by SEAMEO SPAFA begins next week!Read more
For more images, check out and follow Southeast Asian Archaeology on Instagram.
The news reports indexed below usually link to external sites that were active at the time of posting; sometimes websites may be temporarily down or may have reorganised their underlying architecture or have even closed down – in these cases the links may not be available. Most of the news articles archived are in English; this is largely because I do not have a working competency in other languages, although when I am made aware of stories other languages I try to index them.
Looking for something specific? You can also use this search box: