This page covers the archaeology of Mainland Southeast Asia as a whole, but you can find more details about the different countries in their respective pages, or explore the Resource Guide for thematic areas. There’s also the Virtual Archaeology page where you can visit Southeast Asian archaeological sites online, learn something from the Online Lecture Library, or find recent academic papers for more up-to-date research.
These books are relevant to the archaeology and history of Mainland Southeast Asia, and the list below is my personal recommendation based on what I have in my library or have read. Newer books are higher up on the list. Some of these links are affiliate links and I may receive a commission if you click on them and make a purchase. For other sources of reliable academic information, you should also check out the books page for latest releases and the occassional free book, as well as the journals page for the latest scientific research.
- Chasing the Emerald Buddha: An Alternative Journey Through Thailand, Laos & Angkor by Ken Lawrence
- In the Shadow of Rama: Murals of the Ramayana in Mainland Southesat Asia Hardcover by Vittorio Roveda
- Early Mainland Southeast Asia: From First Humans to Angkor by Charles Higham
- The Art of Not Being Governed: An Anarchist History of Upland Southeast Asia by James C. Scott
- Strange Parallels: Volume 1, Integration on the Mainland: Southeast Asia in Global Context, c.800–1830
by Victor Lieberman
- Early Cultures of Mainland Southeast Asia by Charles Higham
- Cultural Diversity and Conservation in the Making of Mainland Southeast Asia and Southwestern China: Regional Dynamics in the Past and Present. Collected Papers Originally Presented at Luang Prabang, Lao P.D.R, 19-20 February 2002 by Hayashi Yukio and Thongsa Sayavongkhmdy (Eds.)
- The Bronze Age of Southeast Asia by Charles Higham
- The Calendrical Systems of Mainland South-East Asia by Chris Eade
- Travels in the Central Parts of Indo-China (Siam), Cambodia, and Laos, during the Years 1858, 1859, and 1860: Volume 1 by M. Henri Mouhot
- Travels in the Central Parts of Indo-China (Siam), Cambodia, and Laos, during the Years 1858, 1859, and 1860: Volume 2 by M. Henri Mouhot
Popular Posts about Mainland Southeast Asia
News about Mainland Southeast Asia
The news reports indexed below usually link to external sites that were active at the time of posting; sometimes websites may be temporarily down or may have reorganised their underlying architecture or have even closed down – in these cases the links may not be available. Most of the news articles archived are in English; this is largely because I do not have a working competency in other languages, although when I am made aware of stories other languages I try to index them.
Looking for something specific? You can also use this search box: