via various news sources, 19 September 2023: Thailand’s Si Thep historical park, located in Phetchabun province, has been designated as a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site during the 45th extended session of the World Heritage Committee in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Si Thep joins the ranks of three other Thai UNESCO Cultural Heritage sites: Ayutthaya, Sukhothai, and Ban Chiang. The official name of the property is The Ancient Town of Si Thep and its Associated Dvaravati Monuments.
“The World Heritage Committee’s decision is a major source of pride for Thailand and its people and will serve as an incentive for people to protect and conserve their cultural heritage, as well as other natural resources in Thailand, which will help promote tourism and economic development,” Natural Resources and Environment minister Pol Gen Patcharawat Wongsuwan told a news conference at the National Museum this afternoon.
Meanwhile, Culture Minister Sermsak Pongpanich said that the recognition of Si Thep will bring the number of UNESCO World Cultural Heritage sites in Thailand to four. The other three are Ayutthaya, Sukhothai and Ban Chiang in the northeastern province of Udon Thani.
Source: Si Thep historical park recognised as UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site | Thai PBS World : The latest Thai news in English, News Headlines, World News and News Broadcasts in both Thai and English. We bring Thailand to the world
- Si Thep Historical Park declared world heritage site | Bangkok Post, 19 Sep 2023
- Thailand’s Ancient Town Of Si Thep Added To World Heritage List | AFP/Barron’s, 19 Sep 2023
- SI THEP BECOMES THE 7TH WORLD HERITAGE SITE IN THAILAND | Khaosod English, 19 Sep 2023
- Thailand’s ancient town of Si Thep now a UNESCO World Heritage Site | TRT World, 19 Sep 2023
- ‘The Ancient Town of Si Thep and its Associated Dvaravati Monuments’ listed as cultural world heritage site | Pattaya Mail, 20 Sep 2023
- Thailand’s ancient town of Si Thep added to Unesco World Heritage list | Bernama/Borneo Post, 20 Sep 2023
- Bandar Purba Si Thep tersenarai Warisan Dunia UNESCO | Bernama/Malaysia Gazette, 20 Sep 2023
- Historische Stadt Si Thep ist Weltkulturerbe | Der Farang, 20 Sep 2023
- ‘The Ancient Town of Si Thep’ listing brings number of World Heritage Sites in Thailand to seven | Pattaya Mail, 23 Sep 2023