Job opportunity at University of the Philippines-Diliman School of Archaeology, with the deadline on 31 March 2023.
PROGRAM TITLE: Eat, Move, & Die: Long-Term Dynamics and Interactions between Health, Environment, and Society through Diet, Mobility, and Disease in the Philippines
PROJECT II TITLE: Philippine Isoscapes: An Isotopic Baseline Database for Palaeodietary and Mobility Reconstruction
The University of the Philippines-Diliman School of Archaeology (UPS), in collaboration with the College of Science, Science and Society Program (SSP) seeks applicants for ONE (1) Science Research Specialists I (SRS I) position to start in 10 April 2023 until 2 October 2023 (6 months). This 12-month project primarily entails the creation of a dedicated isotopic database of archaeological significance (C, N. O, Sr, and Pb), and the analysis of archaeologically recovered human and faunal skeletal remains to reconstruct and explore past diet and prehistoric mobility of the early inhabitants in selected areas in the Philippines using stable isotope analysis (C, N, and O isotopes).
Science Research Specialist I
- With special interest in Animal Osteology and/or Zooarchaeology
- With experience in proper handling and analysis of various faunal skeletal remains;
- Laboratory experience in proper handling of chemicals, and biological and geological samples;
- Systematic and has strong analytical and laboratory skills,
- Can work long hours; diligent and has eye for details;
- Possess good communication skills, team-player, patient, hard working, with good work attitude and ethics.
- With above average academic preparation;
- Already has a background knowledge on the application of stable isotope analysis in organic biochemistry;
- Willing to consider a thesis topic within the project.
- To clean, sort, identify, record, document, and create an inventory of the selected archaeological faunal skeletal remains from selected archaeological sites;
- To set-up local database:
- To conduct laboratory analyses on archaeologically recovered human and faunal skeletal remains,
- To generate an isotopic baseline data from relevant archaeological sites.
- Cover letter comprising a one-page statement to convey your motivation and enthusiasm for the project, and to demonstrate your suitability for the project