Postdoc opportunity at SOAS. Closing date is on Monday, 05 October 2020!
We are seeking to appoint a Post-Doctoral Researcher (PDR) in Islamic Manuscripts of Sumatra to contribute full time for three years on the Leverhulme Research Leadership Award project, “Mapping Sumatra’s Manuscript Cultures.”
About the Role
In this role, you will be responsible for co-leading Case Study 1 (Acehnese private collections digitised in EAP329), including the following deliverables:
- Research and writing of an article on the manuscripts from this case study;
- Project website development and provision, including database and website design, organising manuscript digitisation, developing the online Jawi teaching module, and collation and analysis of manuscript metadata;
- Assisting the PI in running the community-sourcing element of the project, including conducting outreach events, either in South East Asia or online;
- Assisting in organising and running the workshop in Year 2 of the project, and in producing the resulting publication;
- Contributing to research and dissemination related to the project’s other case studies;
- Collaborating with the PI on producing finished transcriptions and editions of key texts.
You will be expected to conduct field and archive research as necessary, of about two-three months during the duration of the project. Additional travel may be required to help disseminate the work and results of the project at related workshops and conferences.
You will need to support the Principal Investigator in realising the overall vision for the project, to demonstrate creativity and initiative, and to work effectively and collaboratively with other members of the team.