The ruins of palace of a famous Ayutthaya king has revitalised the Thai city of Phitsanulok.
Diggin’ Phitsanulok’s prestigious past
Bangkok Post, 29 October 2015
The foundations are of Wang Chan, a palace where King Naresuan the Great of the Ayutthaya period once lived. It is believed the inner mansion was made of sandalwood, a fragrant wood called mai chan in Thai, hence the name of the palace. It is assumed that the palace was built during the early Ayutthaya period, during the reign of King Sam Phraya (Phra Barom Rajathirat II, 1424-1448). His successor, King Baromtrai Lokanat (1448-1488) expanded it to serve as a royal palace.
Wang Chan later served as the residence for many kings during the Ayutthaya period. It was also the birth place of King Naresuan the Great (1590-1605).
King Naresuan is one of Thailand’s most revered monarchs. He was known for his campaign to free Ayutthaya from the Burmese under the Toungoo Dynasty.
As Phitsanulok was a strategic city to cope with invaders from the north, all Ayutthaya’s viceroys were assigned to rule this city, including King Naresuan. However, King Naresuan did not appoint any viceroy. Phitsanulok was demoted and Wang Chan was neglected, particularly after the fall of Ayutthaya.
Full story here.