Lundi 29 janvier 2007 / Monday 29th of January 2007
Vous Ãªtes cordialement invitÃ©s Ã la prÃ©sentation informelle,
You are cordially invited to attend the following informal presentation
Dating temples in Southeast Asia
Postdoctoral Research Fellow,
International Institute of Asian Studies, Leiden University
The talk will examine the different methods used for dating temple architecture, including the use of historical analogy, epigraphy, art history, architecture and archaeology. The talk will illustrate both the advantages and disadvantages of each approach, with examples taken from the study of ancient Champa, Java and Cambodia. The purpose of the discussion will be to show both the problems of temple dating and the advantages of a multi-disciplinary approach in solving questions of chronology.
Dr William Southworth is a graduate in Southeast Asian Studies from the University of Hull in the United Kingdom. He completed an MA in Archaeology at the School of Oriental and African Studies, London, in 1991 and a PhD on the origins of Champa in 2001. Between 1999 and 2002 he worked for the Centre of Khmer Studies in Siem Reap, and has since taught at the University of Bonn. He is currently involved in a project on early temple architecture in Cambodia with the University of Leiden.
18 h 30, lundi 29 janvier 2007, au centre de l’EFEO.
Monday 29th of January 2007, at 6:30 pm at the EFEO.
Presentation will be in English – La prÃ©sentation sera en Anglais
Ecole FranÃ§aise d’ExtrÃªme-Orient (EFEO) Siem Reap
P.O. Box 93 300, Siem Reap – Angkor
Phum Beng Don Pa, Khum SlÃ¢ Kram, Siem Reap, Cambodge
Tel: (885) (16) 635 037 / (63) 964 630 / 760 525. Tel/Fax: (855) (63) 964 226
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
– Angkor Cities and Temples by C. Jaques
– Temple Art Icons and Culture of India and South East Asia by K. V. Raman
– The Art and Architecture of Thailand: From Prehistoric Times Through the Thirteenth Century by H. W. Woodward
– The Mysteries of Borobudur: Discover Indonesia Series by J. N. Miksic
– Hindu-Buddhist Architecture in Southeast Asia (Studies in Asian Art and Archaeology, Vol 19) by D. Chihara
– Some architectural design principles of temples in Java: A study through the buildings projection on the reliefs of Borobudur Temple by P. Atmadi