Job posting for a curator in Island Southeast Asian art at the Asian Civilisations Museum in Singapore. Closing Date 9th November 2019.
Agency: National Heritage Board
Job no.: 535532
Work type: Contract
Closing date: 9th November
As a Curator or Senior Curator in Island Southeast Asia/Indo-Pacific art, you have expertise in the arts and culture of the indigenous groups of the region (Malay Peninsula, Sumatra, Nias, Mentawai, Kalimantan/Borneo, Bali, Sulawesi, Flores, Sumba, Maluku islands and the Philippines, etc.) including but not restricted to the Dayak, the Batak, the Minangkabau, the Iban, and the Toraja among others.
- MA, preferably PhD, in anthropology, art history, archaeology or a related social sciences/arts-humanities field, with at least five years of relevant research or work experience in a museum with equivalent focus on Island Southeast Asia/Indo-Pacific art. Candidates with at least 10 years of relevant research or work experience will be considered for the Senior Curator role.
- Express strong interest and possess specialised knowledge in Island Southeast Asia/Indo-Pacific art. In-depth knowledge into the latest developments and debates about the Austronesians is essential.
- Knowledge of the history of colonial collecting of ethnographic and archaeological material of Island Southeast Asia would also be advantageous.
- Excellent research and writing skills, with proficiency in English. Proficiency in other languages, particularly Indonesian or Malay would be advantageous.
- Strong organisational, project management, and inter-personal skills, able to work independently and as part of a team