Deadline is in a few days!
Pottery of Cham people in Bau Truc village (Palei Hamu Craok), Ninh Thuan province, is a kind of ancient pottery art in Vietnam and Southeast Asia. To preserve and promote this inherited property in the era of international integration, the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism issued Document No. 2527/BVHTTDL-DSVH dated June 11, 2018; and the People’s Committee of Ninh Thuan province issued Document No. 3511/KH-UBND dated August 16, 2018 to proceed the plan of “Creating a profile of the Traditional pottery art of Cham People to submit to UNESCO to be introduced in the List of Intangible Cultural Heritages that needs urgent safeguarding”.
To implement the above plan, the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism and People’s Committee of Ninh Thuan province will co-organize a national and international conference on ” Traditional pottery art of Cham People: Preservation and Development “.
The conference will focus on the following key issues:
- Identifying the ceramic heritage of Cham people in Vietnam and its typical values
– Identifying cultural heritage of pottery art of Cham people in Vietnam (including Cham Bau Truc pottery art in Ninh Thuan province and Binh Duc pottery art in Binh Thuan province);
– Characteristics of traditional pottery art of Cham people and the influence of this heritage;
– Position, roles, and economic, cultural and social functions of Cham pottery art in the communities;
2. The relationship between Cham and Churu ceramics with other pottery art centers in Vietnam and Asia
– Similarities and differences in form, artwork and customs and traditions associated with pottery and traditional pottery villages;
– Similarities and differences between the traditional pottery art of Cham people with other traditional ceramics in Vietnam and some countries in the world;
– The role and position of Cham ceramics in the maritime trade network and in the context of economic and cultural exchanges with countries in Southeast Asia in particular and Asia in general in history.
3. Status of Cham ceramics heritage, necessity and urgent measures of protection; Experience from some pottery villages in the world
– The status of the traditional pottery art of Cham people and the socio-economic issues affecting the vitality of the heritage;
– Cham pottery villages in the system of craft villages in Vietnam;
– The need to protect the traditional pottery art of Cham people; the community of Cham people to protect and promote the traditional art of making potteries;
– Experience in developing policies and legal rights for traditional handicraft artisans;
– Direction of the state and possible measures to protect the traditional pottery art of Cham people;
– Experience in planning, preserving and developing pottery villages in some Asian countries;
– International experience in preserving and developing pottery villages and in traditional handicraft villages in general;
– Experience in developing tourism in trade villages in some Asian countries.
II. TIME, VENUE AND HONORARIUM FOR PRESENTERS
1. Time – December 8- 9, 2018 (including a field trip).
2. Venue – Phan Rang – Thap Cham city, Ninh Thuan province, Vietnam
3. Honorarium for presenters– The cost of travel and accommodation for presenters and authors (including domestic and international guests) will be covered by the Organizing Committee.
III. PAPER FORMAT AND PAPER SUBMISSION
1. Paper format
– Language: Vietnamese and English
– Papers should be limited to a maximum of 15 pages, typed in Times New Roman, size 13 on A4 paper; spaced 1.5 centimeters, Top: 1.5 centimeters; Bottom: 1.5 centimeters, Left: 3.5 centimeters, Right: 1.5 centimeters, Header: 1.25 centimeters, Footer: 1.25 centimeters.
– The paper includes an abstract of about 200 – 250 words; Keywords: 3 – 5 words, sorted in alphabetical order.
– A biography of the author (to be introduced at the conference and printed in the conference proceedings) should include the following information:Name/ Title / Degree / Year of graduation / Awarded by/Research interest or field of expertise / Institution /3 typical publications in the last 3 years
– The article should be divided into subsections numbered and printed as follows:
1, 2; 1.1, 1.2; 1.1.1, 1.1.2 and no further subdivision. Subsection title should be short, with no punctuation.
– Quotations should be in quotation marks, not in italics. Annotations are put in the bottom of the page. Type of material quotation: author, year of publication in parentheses (…), name of the work (italic), publisher’s shortcut, publication place (full, not abbreviated, e.g. Ha Noi, Ho Chi Minh City, volume (abbreviated: p., v.), Page number (abbreviated in p.). Example:Van Mon (2001), Traditional pottery art of Cham People in Bau Truc – Ninh Thuan, Information Publishing House, Hanoi, p. 53.Ha Van Tan (2000), Village, Inter-village, Super-village (Thinking about Methods), in History Faculty of University of Social Sciences and Humanities, Hanoi National University, A Milestone of Historical Research (1995-2000), National Political Publishing House, Hanoi, p. 54.
– References are listed at the end of the article, numbered in order, sorted by author name in alphabetical order.
– Name of the author, academic title, institution, address, telephone number and e-mail address should be written under the article for further communication.
– The paper will be edited by a Review Panel. Satisfactory papers will be selected to be published into a reference book.
2. Time of submission– Abstracts and Biography: By November 1, 2018 – Full paper: By November 25, 2018
- Contact information
– Biography, abstract and full papers to be sent to:
+ Mr. Ho Si Son, Deputy Director of the Department of Culture, Sports and Tourism of Ninh Thuan province; Tel: 0259 352 0000; Mobile: 090 799 7468; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
+ Dr. Dinh Van Hanh, Branch of Vietnam Institute of National Culture and Art in Ho Chi Minh City, 61 Mac Dinh Chi, Da Kao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City; Tel: 0982 955 009; 028 3822 7529. Email: email@example.com
+ Ass. Prof. Dr. Truong Van Mon, University of Social Sciences and Humanities – Vietnam National University. Ho Chi Minh City, 10-12 Dinh Tien Hoang Street, Ben Nghe Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City; Tel: 097 272 3302; Email: Vanmonsakaya@yahoo.com.
On behalf of the Organizing Committee
Le Van BinhVice
Chairman of the People’s Committee of Ninh Thuan province