From the Asia Research Institute at the National University of Singapore:
EARLY INDIAN INFLUENCES IN SOUTHEAST ASIA:
REFLECTIONS ON CROSS-CULTURAL MOVEMENTS
21 – 23 NOVEMBER 2007, SINGAPORE
The Conference on Early Indian Influences in Southeast Asia: Reflections on Cross- Cultural Movements is scheduled to be held from 21 – 23 November 2007 in Singapore.
The conference is organised in conjunction with an exhibition on Early Indian Influences in Southeast Asia (EIISEA) by the National Library Board, Singapore. It will be jointly hosted by the Asia Research Institute (ARI), the Institute of South Asian Studies (ISAS) and the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (ISEAS).
The conference papers will cover the characteristics of the cultural interactions during the period from pre- and proto-history through the classical period of state formations in Southeast Asia.
The conference organisers invite researchers to submit abstracts on the following sub-themes:
1) Naval expeditions and background history of Rajendra Chola in Southeast Asia.
2) Ancient and medieval commercial activities and Chola maritime relationship between India and Southeast Asia.
3) Archaeological and inscriptional evidence and the historical background of cross-cultural movements.
4) Regional cultures and localisation of Indian influences in Southeast Asia.
5) Early Indian science, astronomy, mathematics, art and architecture in Southeast Asia.
Abstracts should be between 150-200 words in length. The abstracts should reach the Conference Secretariat by Tuesday, 15 May 2007. Submission of completed papers is due by Friday, 21 September 2007. Paper presenters will be provided with round-trip economy travel, hotel accommodation, per-diem and an honorarium for the paper presentation in Singapore. The papers will be published as a volume.
Please address all correspondence to: Professor A. Mani (email@example.com)/ Professor Rama (firstname.lastname@example.org), Conference Coordinators, the Conference Secretariat, Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, 30 Heng Mui Keng Terrace, Singapore 119614.
– Temple Art Icons and Culture of India and South East Asia by K. V. Raman
– The Archaeology of Seafaring in Ancient South Asia by Himanshu Prabha Ray
– Narrative Sculpture and Literary Traditions in South and Southeast Asia (Studies in Asian Art and Archaeology) by J. Fontein and M. J. Klokke (Eds)
– The Indianized States of Southeast Asia by G. Coedes