via Khmer Times, 05 December 2018: Cambodian Prime Minister speaking about recent evictions and demolishing of buildings in the Angkor Archaeological Park.
Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen. via Khmer Times, 20181205
Prime Minister Hun Sen yesterday defended the government’s stance on the eviction of people illegally living in heritage sites.
The statement was made during the 25th anniversary of the International Coordinating Committee for the Safeguarding and Development of the Heritage Site of Angkor in Siem Reap province.
Mr Hun Sen said the government’s stance on heritage site encroachment is often taken advantage of by political parties who accuse it of violating human rights.
“Political parties always use land protestors when there’s an upcoming election,” Mr Hun Sen said. “If we allow people to encroach on land located in heritage sites, our temples will lose quality and will no longer be world heritage sites.”
Source: Hun Sen defends heritage site evictions – Khmer Times
via Bangkok Post, 07 November 2018:
Wat Phra That Phanom. Source: Bangkok Post 20181107
Disgruntled vendors gathered outside historical Wat Phra That Phanom in Nakhon Phanom on Wednesday in protest against their eviction from the grounds to pave the way for registration of the temple as a Unesco World Heritage site.
About 100 vendors converged on the area in front of Wat Phra That Phanom Voramahaviharn, widely known as Wat Phra That Phanom, in That Phanom district to air their grievance.
Source: Vendors evicted as temple readies for heritage site status | Bangkok Post: news
via Khmer Times, 27 December 2017
The Apsara Authority has almost finished the removal of the houses illegally constructed before the June commune election.
Source: Angkor Park evictions continue – Khmer Times
via Cambodia Daily, 25 August 2017:
A provincial official has acknowledged for the first time that local authorities took money from villagers to allow constructions inside Angkor Archaeological Park, but said on Thursday that the illegal structures would still be demolished.
Deputy Siem Reap provincial governor Ly Samrith said that some villagers had been “cheated” by local officials, but only those who had submitted forms to the Apsara Authority asking for permission would be spared from the weekslong demolition operation that began earlier this month.
“We think that some constructions would be allowed to stay, but if we give them a pardon, they will extend their constructions to the front of the Angkor temple,” he said.
Source: Local Authorities ‘Cheated’ Angkor Villagers, Official Says | Cambodia Daily
via Phnom Penh Post, 11 August 2018: The authorities have been warning for some time now about dismantling illegal structures in the Angkor Park.
Authorities in Siem Reap province yesterday began tearing down villagers’ homes they say are illegally constructed inside the Angkor Archaeological Park’s protected zones.
Source: ‘Illegal’ Angkor homes dismantled in Siem Reap, National, Phnom Penh Post