via SunStar, 09 Mar 2019: The National Historical Commission of the Philippines halts the demolition of a 243-year-old watchtower in Southern Leyte.
THE National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) has issued a cease and desist order, suspending all activities affecting the 243-year-old watchtower within the campus of a private Catholic school in Maasin City.
“It has come to our attention that the proposed construction of buildings within the compound of Saint Joseph College will affect a Spanish-period watchtower,” said Dr. Rene Escalante, the NHCP chairman.
“The said structure being more than 50 years is a presumed Important Cultural Property (ICP). Under Republic Act 10066 or the National Cultural Heritage Act of 2009, such ICPs must be protected from any modification or alteration,” Escalante added in a letter addressed to Bishop Precioso Cantillas of the Diocese of Maasin.
The Apsara Authority has been installing boards informing the public on the prohibition against buying and selling land in Siem Reap province’s Angkor area, following recent Facebook posts of land sales in the world heritage protected site.
Apsara Authority spokesman Long Kosal on Thursday said it has come across announcements of unsanctioned sale of land in Zone 1 and Zone 2 of Angkor.
“Residents, please do not believe the rumours created by people that some land in the Angkor area can be used for construction,” he said.
via Kosmo, 17 August 2018: The Malaysian Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture announced a RM30 million (approximately US$7.3 million) allocation to improve tourist infrastructure at the Sungai Batu archaeological site in Kedah. Article is in Bahasa Malaysia.
SUNGAI PETANI – Kementerian Pelancongan, Seni dan Budaya akan membangunkan kemudahan infrastruktur yang lengkap bernilai RM30 juta di Kompleks Arkeologi Sungai Batu, Lembah Bjuang di sini yang merupakan tapak tamadun tertua di rantau ini berusia 2,200 tahun.
via Myanmar Times, 15 August 2018: Garden construction in Bagan temples may potentially affect the bid to nominate them into the World Heritage register. This adds to the number of issues previously highlighted in the nomination of Bagan with modern constructions (such as here and here).
Bagan authorities are planning to build 17 gardens inside the compounds of well-known pagodas, but a local UNESCO official expressed concern the move could affect Bagan’s bid to be declared a world heritage site.
via Khmer Times, 08 May 2018: This article is probably in response to the ruckus last year when some illegal construction were demolished by the authorities last year in the Angkor Archaeological Park.
Apsara Authority allowed people living in the Angkor area to build 354 houses.
A 340-room hotel project in the Bagan cultural zone was halted by the Ministry of Religious Affairs and Culture after many criticised the project for being located too close to an ancient protected monument.