Postdoc Opportunity at the University of Sydney Southeast Asia Centre, for research in heritage and the arts. Deadline is 31 January 2019.
Australia’s premier centre for the multidisciplinary study of Southeast Asia, the Sydney Southeast Asia Centre (SSEAC) responds to the complexity of Southeast Asia as a region and to its growing importance in our rapidly changing world. Drawing on the expertise of over 400 academics across a broad range of disciplines, SSEAC supports research excellence; works to foster a new generation of Southeast Asia experts; and partners with government, business and civil society groups to address real-world issues.
SSEAC’s postdoctoral positions are available to postdoctoral researchers working on topics related to our five research clusters—economic and social development, environment and resources, health, heritage and the arts, state and society—in any Southeast Asian country (or countries) and in any discipline. This year, we are offering one postdoctoral position, open to applicants working on any one of our five themes.
Appointees must have the support of a relevant host department. They are required to spend up to 20% of their time on centre duties, allocated at the discretion of the SSEAC director. The remaining 80% of their time is available for their own research projects, with research targets set in consultation with the SSEAC director or her delegate. Candidates who have held their PhDs for no more than three (3) years (or equivalent if there have been career interruptions) are eligible to apply.
In this position, you will:
conduct your individual research according to an agreed timeline and scope
prepare and submit high-quality publications according to an agreed timeline
design, plan, schedule and prepare for implementation of future research projects
contribute to the life of SSEAC through a range of SSEAC-related duties.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance in recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of research excellence. We are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Associate who possesses:
PhD in a relevant field of study (awarded no earlier than 1st January 2016 and no later than 1st January 2019, though consideration will be given for those with significant career interruption)
experience conducting original research related to Southeast Asia
experience publishing in high-quality journals
a willingness and ability to actively contribute to the life of SSEAC
capacity to work independently and as part of a team.
Source: University of Sydney – Postdoctoral Research Associate