via Malay Mail, 08 October 2018: The Gua Naga Mas Fossil in Perak to be closed for three months for study – this is the second archaeological site in Perak to be closed this year.
PERAK 08-10-2018. State tourism and culture executive committee chairman Tan Kar Hing said the site, which is located in the Gua Naga Mas cave temple here, would be closed for at least three months starting tomorrow (Oct 9)MALAY MAIL/Farhan Najib. Source: Malay Mail 20181008
Perak authorities will close the site of a prehistoric animal fossil at the Gua Naga Mas cave temple here starting tomorrow for at least three months pending detailed studies.
Perak tourism and culture executive councillor Tan Kar Hing said this would allow research teams from Universiti Malaya, Universiti Sains Malaysia, and government agencies to conduct detailed studies on the fossil, which is believed to be of a carnivorous mammal.
Source: Prehistoric fossil site in Gopeng cave sealed for three months | Malaysia | Malay Mail
via Malay Mail, 10 July 2018: Gua Tambun is a site that I know very well – I studied it for my MA research a decade ago and have gone back to the site every couple of years. The news article incorrectly calls it the largest site in Southeast Asia, although it is one of the largest sites in the region. From the images in the news story the forest growth has been the heaviest that I’ve seen. The site has always had a problem with maintenance, but most of the rock art itself is well protected because it is out of reach of human hands. If anyone knows how to put me in touch with the relevant authorities, please send me an email – I would be very willing to help with the site’s rehabilitation.
Source: Perak govt plans to shut access to prehistoric Gua Tambun rock paintings | Malay Mail
The Perak State government announced last month plans to revitalise and conserve the Gua Tambun rock art site in Ipoh, a site I am very familiar with. The plans include constructing an entrance and public facilities, but more alarmingly, an awning to protect the paintings from damage. This is a really bad idea, because it represents a major environmental change to the rock shelter (not to mention as being practically unfeasible).
Gua Tambun. Source: The Star 20160309
Working to save Tambun Cave
The Star, 08 March 2016
Realising the importance of the preservation and conservation of all archaeological and heritage sites in Perak, the state government is set to revitalise the Tambun Cave by building facilities to ensure that the place does not lose its lustre. The caves are famous for its pre-historic drawings,
State Tourism, Arts, Culture, Communications and Multimedia Committee Chairman Datuk Nolee Ashilin Mohd Radzi told MetroPerak that the state government recently finalised the conservation plan for Tambun Cave including the proposal to build a proper entrance and other public amenities.
She said RM120,000has been allocated for the construction, which will commence this month.
Full story here.
These news stories were posted by Liz Price in a comment on the recent post about Gua Tambun, but I have a particular interest in the site so I’m re-posting them here. Graffiti has always been a problem ever since the site was open to public in the 1970s.
Vandalism at Gua Tambun
Heritage site not treasured
The Star, 09 April 2014
Walls of Gua Tambun vandalised with paint and sketches
The Star, 05 April 2014
Gua Tambun jadi mangsa vandalisme
Sinar Harian, 05 April 2014
Article is in Bahasa Malaysia
Liz Price writes about the various rock art sites found in Malaysia, including Gua Tambun, the Niah Caves, Gua Badak and the newly-discovered Merapoh caves.
Source: The Star 20140322
Gua Badak: Cave art from the past
The Star, 22 March 2014
The Lenggong Archaeological Museum in Perak sees a sharp rise in visitors because of the rehousing of the Perak Man remains there.
Lenggong Archaeological Museum
Pelancong lawat Perak Man meningkat
Utusan Online, 04 March 2014
Story is in Bahasa Malaysia
The remains of the 10,000-year-old Perak Man are to be eventually returned to the state in which it was found, after the necessary preparations are made.
Perak Man, New Straits Times 20121002
‘Perak Man’ set to return home [Link no longer active]
New Straits Times, 02 October 2012
Local experts caution the need for proper management in order for the Lenggong Valley archaeological area to be ready for a 2014 deadline for its World Heritage Site inscription. Among the chief problems are the lack of adequate protections for the numerous archaeological sites in the area, and proper infrastructure in order to facilitate safe and non-invasive tourist access to these areas.
Preserving Lenggong Valley
The Star, 04 Sep 2012
The Lenggong Valley in Perak is among the newest sites to be included as World Heritage after this year’s annual conference.
Sites in Iran, Malaysia, Canada, Slovenia, Spain, Germany, Portugal and France on UNESCO’s World Heritage List
Unesco, 30 June 2012
Lenggong Valley, Perak, gets World Heritage Site status
The Star, 01 July 2012
Unesco declares Lenggong Valley world heritage site
The Malaysian Insider, 01 July 2012
The Malaysian Department of Heritage is organising a five-day exhibition that started on Tuesday on the heritage of Malaysia at the Unesco offices in Paris. Among the exhibits featured are artefacts from the Lenggong valley. It looks like the government is selling the 1.8 million year-old date – does anyone know if a paper has been published on it yet?
Unesco to show Lenggong Valley artefacts
New Straits Times, 14 February 2012