Priest faces raps for Molo convent renovation

No Comments
Molo Church, Iloilo City. Source: Panay News, 05 Sep 2018

via Panay News, 05 Sep 2018: Unauthorised renovations made on a century-old church in the Philippines.

Molo Church, Iloilo City. Source: Panay News, 05 Sep 2018

Molo Church, Iloilo City. Source: Panay News, 05 Sep 2018

The Sangguniang Panlungsod’s (SP) committee on tourism and cultural affairs has recommended the filing of charges against Monsignor Maurillo Silva, administrator of St. Anne Parish in Molo district for the unauthorized renovation of the Molo Church’s convent.

The charges could be for violation of Republic Act 10066 (National Cultural Heritage Act of 2009) and the National Building Code, among others, according to the committee chaired by Councilor Candice Tupas.

Source: Priest faces raps for Molo convent renovation

UK investigates fresh reports of looting of sunken navy ships

1 Comment

via The Guardian, 19 August 2018: UK Government investigating the looting of sunken navy ships in Malaysian and Indonesian waters.

Infographic on shipwrecks in Malaysian and Indoensian waters from the Daily Mail, 18 August 2018

Infographic on shipwrecks in Malaysian and Indoensian waters from the Daily Mail, 18 August 2018

Gavin Williamson says UK will work closely with Indonesia and Malaysia over claims Second World War ships have been plundered

Source: UK investigates fresh reports of looting of sunken navy ships

See also:

Malaysia firms plunder sunken wrecks for rare steel used to make sensitive medical, scientific equipment

No Comments

via The Straits Times, 27 Feb 2018: New research on the illegal plunder of shipwrecks in Southeast Asian waters highlight the role of Malaysian firms

SE Asia News -PETALING JAYA (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) – Some Malaysian salvage firms are working with an international syndicate to plunder sunken wartime wrecks in search for rare and highly-sought low-background steel, used in sensitive medical and scientific equipment.. Read more at straitstimes.com.

Source: Malaysia firms plunder sunken wrecks for rare steel used to make sensitive medical, scientific equipment, SE Asia News & Top Stories – The Straits Times

Bodies of second world war sailors in Java sea ‘dumped in mass grave’

No Comments

via The Guradian, 22 January 2018: The illegal salvage operations in Indonesian waters take a more sombre tone as reports emerge that human remains are being unceremoniously dumped. The second link below is worth taking a look at; it is a more in-depth investigation at the racket and the ships (mostly Chinese and Indonesian) involved.

Illegal metal scavengers accused of disposing of remains from British and Dutch warships

Source: Bodies of second world war sailors in Java sea ‘dumped in mass grave’

See also:

The race to save up to 50 shipwrecks from looters in Southeast Asia

2 Comments

via The Conversation, 16 November 2017:

More than 48 shipwrecks have been illicitly salvaged – and the figure may be much higher. Museums can play a key role in the protection of these wrecks, alongside strategic recovery and legislative steps.

Source: The race to save up to 50 shipwrecks from looters in Southeast Asia

Angkor demolitions – Local Authorities ‘Cheated’ Angkor Villagers, Official Says

No Comments

via Cambodia Daily, 25 August 2017:

A provincial official has acknowledged for the first time that local authorities took money from villagers to allow constructions inside Angkor Archaeological Park, but said on Thursday that the illegal structures would still be demolished.

Deputy Siem Reap provincial governor Ly Samrith said that some villagers had been “cheated” by local officials, but only those who had submitted forms to the Apsara Authority asking for permission would be spared from the weekslong demolition operation that began earlier this month.

“We think that some constructions would be allowed to stay, but if we give them a pardon, they will extend their constructions to the front of the Angkor temple,” he said.

Source: Local Authorities ‘Cheated’ Angkor Villagers, Official Says | Cambodia Daily

Apsara Authority continues removing homes in Angkor

No Comments

via Phnome Penh Post, 14 August 2017: The APSARA Authority this week began evicting and demolishing illegal structures – many of them homes – in the Angkor Archaeological Park which were built in the last year. Local residents have begun to protest to the provincial government, but the orders to vacate and the threat of demolition have been made for several months now.

The Apsara Authority and Siem Reap provincial officials have demolished 49 homes out of 520 slated for removal within the Angkor Archaeological Park since Thursday, officials said yesterday.

Source: Apsara Authority continues removing homes in Angkor, National, Phnom Penh Post

See also:

Categories: Angkor Cambodia

Tags:

‘Illegal’ Angkor homes dismantled in Siem Reap

No Comments

via Phnom Penh Post, 11 August 2018: The authorities have been warning for some time now about dismantling illegal structures in the Angkor Park.

Authorities in Siem Reap province yesterday began tearing down villagers’ homes they say are illegally constructed inside the Angkor Archaeological Park’s protected zones.

Source: ‘Illegal’ Angkor homes dismantled in Siem Reap, National, Phnom Penh Post

See also:

Armed Military Police to Join Apsara Authority for Razing

No Comments

via Cambodia Daily, 03 August 2017: Following on this news because it deals with the heritage laws around the Angkor Park. Armed forces will be helping the APSARA Authority during their exercise of razing illegal structures in the park area, following threats from local villagers. APSARA has been for the last few months warned about the impending demolition of illegal structures and have given a deadline that expires this week.

Following threats from villagers, armed military and police forces will help secure a team that will forcibly raze hundreds of improperly constructed homes and shops within protected areas of Angkor Archaeological Park, an official said on Wednesday.

Apsara Authority, the government entity charged with overseeing the park, on Tuesday announced an August 10 deadline for the removal of illegal structures.

Source: Armed Military Police to Join Apsara Authority for Razing – The Cambodia Daily

Final warning over Angkor area structures

No Comments

via Khmer Times, 02 August 2017: The APSARA Authority sets a deadline for next week before it stars taking down illegal structures in the Angkor Archaeological Park.

Apsara Authority and Siem Reap provincial hall say illegal constructions in will be demolished.

Source: Final warning over Angkor area structures – Khmer Times

See also:

Categories: Angkor Cambodia

Tags: