VMAP, in association with the Institute of Archaeology (Vietnam) and Flinders University, will conduct a two week terrestrial and maritime-based maritime archaeology field school in Jan/Feb 2018. Fieldwork will take place in the World Heritage Areas at Hue and Hoi An and the Marine Protected Area at Cu Lao Cham and will include a visit to the World Heritage Area at My Son. Accommodation will be at the Bach Dang Hotel in Hoi An.
Sat 26 / Sun 27 January to Sat 10 / Sun 11 Feb 2018. Dates are fixed.
1. Marine geophysics training and usage project (boat-based, non-diving)
– Side-scan sonar, magnetometer and ROV training and use at Cu Lao Cham.
2. SCUBA Diving project (boat-based, SCUBA diving)
Recording on the shipwreck site at Bai Ong and diving on targets found using maritime geophysics equipment
3. Cannon recording project in Hue (terrestrial, non-diving)
– 3D modeling, drawing, photography and cataloguing of the Dutch shipwreck cannons located in Hue.
4. Traditional boat building recording project (terrestrial, non-diving)
– 3D modeling, drawing, photography and cataloguing of traditional style Bau boats built by the master boat builders of Kim Bong village near Hoi An.
SCUBA diving certification is not required.
Language of instruction: English
Masters students at Flinders University may be eligible for funding of $2,000 under the Asia Postgraduate Programme scheme (conditions apply). Students at other universities should contact Mark Polzer for further information Mark.Polzer@flinders.edu.au
All participants will be expected to arrange and pay for their visa for Vietnam as well as travel insurance and their own airfares to and from Da Nang in Vietnam (Approximate cost AUD$800).
Participant Fee: US$1,000, AUD$ 1,200 or 800 Euros. This fee will be used to cover on-the-ground expenses such as ground transportation, food and accommodation as well as making a contribution towards the fieldwork costs.
Potential participants should send an email expression of interest that includes the following information: Name, email address, a photocopy of the information page of your passport and a brief (half page) cv or biography to:
For more information contact: Mark.firstname.lastname@example.org