07 June 2007 (Travel Video Television News) – While this news piece reports nothing new, it ties up the restoration of the fort in Malacca with tourism and the bid to list Malacca as a world heritage site.
Historic Melaka digs way into more of its past
The Malaysian government is setting its focus on Melaka’s treasures.
Malaysia’s historic state Melaka is digging its way into its past to uncover more artifacts buried since the Portuguese landed in the then world sea port trading post in the 16th century.
The unexpected discovery of a fort’s remnants dating back to the 15th century is expected to enhance historic Melaka’s listing as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
Read more about Malacca’s place in the Malaysian plan for tourism and heritage.
02 June 2007 (New Straits Times) – The New Straits Times has a weekend focus on the restoration works of the Malacca Fort, first built by the Portuguese after their conquest of Malacca, and then later occupied by the Dutch. Much of the fort was destroyed by the British colonialists and thought lost forever until parts of the fort’s bastion was discovered last year.
Rise of the Great Fort
Following the discovery, the Culture, Arts and Heritage Ministry proposed to reconstruct the Malacca Fort, for which the Cabinet approved a fund of RM12.8 million three months ago.
Rui and Nordin are part of a team of local and foreign experts comprising historians, archaeologists, architects, geologists and conservationists put together by the Department of National Heritage to oversee the fortâ€™s reconstruction.
Heading the team is Heritage Commissioner Datuk Professor Zuraina Majid.
“We are not aiming to rebuild the whole fort, only about 50 per cent of the original.
“What is of primary concern is the authenticity of our reconstruction,” says Zuraina.
With only the foundations to work with, her team will have to rely heavily on historic documents by authors like Tome Pires and Emanuel Godinho de Eredia, drawings, paintings, as well as consultation with experts familiar with the architecture of that era.
Read more about the Malacca Fort, the Fortaleza Dâ€™Malacca also known as A’Famosa.
18 February 2007 (The Star) –
Govt allocates RM12.8m to reconstruct A’Famosa fort
The federal government has approved a RM12.8 million allocation for the reconstruction of Fortaleza D’Malacca or the mighty A’Famosa fort built during the Portuguese or Dutch colonial era in Bandar Hilir here.
Culture, Arts and Heritage Minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim said said the first phase of the rebuilding work was expected to begin in April or May.
Speaking to reporters after attending a dinner hosted by the Malacca state Wanita Umno on Saturday, he said the Cabinet had agreed for the National Heritage Department to quickly draw up the plan with the assistance of historians in Malacca and several archaeologists.
1 February 2007 (The Star) – The 16th century Portuguese fort of Malacca, A’Famosa, is slated for rebuilding, following the discovery of the Middlesburgh bastion late last year.
Aâ€™Famosa to be rebuilt
Portions of the buried ruins of Fortaleza Dâ€™Malacca or the mighty Aâ€™Famosa fortress built in 1512 will be brought to â€œlifeâ€ for the world to see. About 350m of the buried walls of the fortress will be reconstructed stone by stone to its original dimensions of 8m by 5m, said Commissioner of Heritage Prof Datuk Dr Siti Zuraina Abdul Majid. She said the completed structure would encompass the cityâ€™s 11.3ha heritage site in Bandar Hilir.
Presently, the department is using documents and paintings of the fort dating back to 1512 to determine its dimensions and design, but may require further documents from overseas sources.
â€œWe might study the Galle Fort, which is fully intact in Sri Lanka, as it is a good example of how the fort would look like because they both share a similar history,â€ she added.