Angkor demolitions – Local Authorities ‘Cheated’ Angkor Villagers, Official Says

No Comments

via Cambodia Daily, 25 August 2017:

A provincial official has acknowledged for the first time that local authorities took money from villagers to allow constructions inside Angkor Archaeological Park, but said on Thursday that the illegal structures would still be demolished.

Deputy Siem Reap provincial governor Ly Samrith said that some villagers had been “cheated” by local officials, but only those who had submitted forms to the Apsara Authority asking for permission would be spared from the weekslong demolition operation that began earlier this month.

“We think that some constructions would be allowed to stay, but if we give them a pardon, they will extend their constructions to the front of the Angkor temple,” he said.

Source: Local Authorities ‘Cheated’ Angkor Villagers, Official Says | Cambodia Daily

‘Illegal’ Angkor homes dismantled in Siem Reap

No Comments

via Phnom Penh Post, 11 August 2018: The authorities have been warning for some time now about dismantling illegal structures in the Angkor Park.

Authorities in Siem Reap province yesterday began tearing down villagers’ homes they say are illegally constructed inside the Angkor Archaeological Park’s protected zones.

Source: ‘Illegal’ Angkor homes dismantled in Siem Reap, National, Phnom Penh Post

See also: