New paper by Carter et al. in the Journal of Field Archaeology
The Khmer Empire (9th–15th centuries a.d.), centered on the Greater Angkor region, was the most extensive political entity in the history of mainland Southeast Asia. Stone temples constructed by Angkorian kings and elites were widely assumed to have been loci of ritual as well as habitation, though the latter has been poorly documented archaeologically. In this paper, we present the results of two field seasons of excavation at the temple site of Ta Prohm. Using LiDAR data to focus our excavations, we offer evidence for residential occupation within the temple enclosure from before the 11th century a.d. until the 14th century. A comparison with previous work exploring habitation areas within the Angkor Wat temple enclosure highlights similarities and differences between the two temples. We argue that temple habitation was a key component of the Angkorian urban system and that investigating this unique form of urbanism expands current comparative research on the diversity of ancient cities.
Source: Urbanism and Residential Patterning in Angkor: Journal of Field Archaeology: Vol 43, No 6
via Khaosod English, 28 September 2018: The (failed) Thai attempt to move Angkor Wat was briefly mentioned in a previous Instagram post, but here’s the full story according to Thai historian Santi Pakdeekham.
BANGKOK — Thailand is often accused by Cambodians of stealing their cultural heritage, from Khon to the Preah Vihear temple. But all these disputes pale in comparison to Thailand’s attempted theft of Angkor Wat.
Source: That Time Thailand Tried Moving Angkor Wat to Bangkok
via Khmer Times, 1 October 2018:
The government earned $85.57 million in revenue from the sale of tickets at Angkor Wat for this year’s first nine months, a hike of nearly 13 percent compared to last year, according to the figures from Angkor Enterprise.
From January to September, more than 1.9 million visitors visited the Angkor archeological park, an increase of about 8.5 percent compared to the same period last year, the figures released yesterday said.
However, in September alone, there were about 156,865 visitors or an increase of 8.3 percent compared to the same period last year.
Source: The government earns $85.57 million from Angkor Wat ticket sales – Khmer Times
A new sub-site in Google Arts and Culture, based on previous work by the team from Monash university, Visualising Angkor presents a series of images and video reconstructions of Angkor during its prime.
Visualising Angkor in Google Arts and Culture
Source: Visualising Angkor: Part 1 – Envisaging a Living City — Google Arts & Culture
via the Cambodian Ministry of Information: For readers in Siem Reap, the Angkor Conservation centre will be open to visitors tomorrow (Saturday, 29 September)
Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts’ Angkor Conservation in Siem Reap province will be open to visitors on Sept. 29, from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, to mark the European Heritage Days.
Source: Angkor Conservation Open to Visitors This Weekend – ក្រសួងព័ត៌មាន
via Phnom Penh Post, 25 September 2018: Budget cuts have a real effect on people working in the field. Workers on the West Mebon restoration project petition for better wages after EFEO announced it was out of budget and could not continue further.
More than a hundred workers who had done restoration work at the West Mebon temple in Siem Reap province said they would petition the French Embassy calling for a resumption of the project.
The call was made after the L’Ecole française d’Extrême-Orient (EFEO) centre, which oversaw the project, announced it had run out of budget and passed the project on to the Apsara Authority, a state body charged with managing the Angkor Archaeological Park.
Source: Temple workers ‘upset’ with new wage, National, Phnom Penh Post
via Phnom Penh Post, 26 September 2018: Phase 5 of the Bayon restoration project by Unesco has been funded by the Japanese and Cambodian governments.
Source: Khmer Times, 26 September 2018
The Japanese and Cambodian governments have allocated $1,5 million to fund phase five of the Bayon temple restoration project, a Unesco official said on Tuesday.
Unesco Culture Programme Specialist Philippe Delanghe told The Post yesterday that the project which is slated to begin this year will be completed in 2020. This is according to a mutual agreement signed by the UN agency and the Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts.
The project is backed by the Japanese and Cambodian governments, with each contributed $1 million and $500,000 respectively, he said.
Source: Bayon restoration to resume, National, Phnom Penh Post
via Phnom Penh Post, 24 September 2018:
Koh Ker. Source : Phnom Penh Post 20180924
The Cambodian government is preparing a proposal to register the ancient Koh Ker temple in Preah Vihear province as a Unesco World Heritage Site.
Minister of Culture and Fine Arts Phoeurng Sackona made the announcement last week at a meeting in Siem Reap province, of the International Coordinating Committee for Safeguarding and Development of the Historic Site of Preah Vihear.
The Koh Ker site constitutes “one of the marvels of Cambodian monumental heritage,” according to Unesco. Sackona said efforts to register Koh Ker might be aided by the inclusion of Sambor Prei Kuk archaeological complex, which was listed as a World Heritage Site last year.
Source: Preah Vihear’s ancient Koh Ker temple seeks World Heritage Status, National, Phnom Penh Post
via SEA GLobe, 19 Sep 2018: SEA Globe reports some perspectives from Cambodians about the Angkor Wat replica in China that was previously reported – I called it a ‘Disneyland’ in the previous post.
A Chinese replica of Angkor Wat, built for the annual China-Asean exposition, has attracted the ire of many Cambodians who feel it offends their heritage
Source: Chinese theme park risks offending Cambodians with Angkor Wat replica
via Paris Match, 16 Sep 2018: An article in French about how tourism is stressing out the Angkor Archaeological Park.
Overtourism at Angkor. Source: Paris Match, 16 Sep 2018
C’est le plus vaste site archéologique au monde et l’un des plus visités. Mais 5 millions de touristes par an, dont un afflux brutal de visiteurs chinois depuis 10 ans, l’ont transformé en un parc d’attraction effrayant. Au point de menacer l’existence même de ce joyau.
Source: Cambodge : Stop ou… Angkor !