Pulau Nangka treasure hunt to continue until August 1

The state government has granted the company in charge of the treasure hunt an extension til August 1. While the search has been unsuccessful so far, a pair of divers have reportedly found some treasures in other parts of the island!

Malacca treasures found — by foreign divers
The Star, 21 June 2014

Company told to end search for treasure on Pulau Nangka on Aug 1
Bernama, via Astro Awani, 17 Junee 2014

Photographs showing foreign divers looting relics from a cavern in Pulau Nangka, a tiny isle off the coast here, has baffled Chief Minister Datuk Seri Idris Haron.

The pictures that appeared in a bi-weekly Malay tabloid featured two divers, a male and a female, allegedly French nationals, holding relics of tortoise-shaped gold-plated bars and other ornaments in an underground waterway leading to the cave.

Beside the two divers, the pictures showed a local man claiming to be a bomoh (medium) posing with some of the relics.

“I am perplexed how the foreigners could salvage the relics from the cave while the firm commissioned by the state government to locate and excavate the treasure site has yet to locate the trove,” he told The Star yesterday.

Idris said he saw the pictures in the tabloid and was surprised as the photographs were real based on the surroundings.

He said the pictures were very recent and it showed the entrance of the cave.

Idris said he had asked his aides to authenticate the photographs and meet the local man in the picture.

In a related development, the salvage company appointed by the state government to retrieve the treasures – Smart Partnership International (M) Sdn Bhd – has been given until Aug 1 to locate the relics.

Full story here and here.

Related Posts

Author: Noel Tan

Dr Noel Hidalgo Tan is the Senior Specialist in Archaeology at SEAMEO-SPAFA, the Southeast Asian Regional Centre for Archaelogy and Fine Arts.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *