Cambodia Sues for Statue’s Return
Radio Free Asia, 08 June 2012
Cambodia said Friday it is prepared to drag top U.S. art auction house Sotheby’s to the Supreme Court if necessary in its battle for the return of a 10th-century statue Phnom Penh says is among three looted during the country’s civil war turmoil.
The sandstone warrior, from the Prasat Chen temple complex in the jungle north of the ancient Khmer capital of Angkor, was set to be auctioned last year by Sotheby’s for as much as $3 million.
But the item was pulled after Cambodia protested the sale, and in March, U.S. officials filed a suit against Sotheby’s on Cambodia’s behalf, saying the piece was removed illegally.
Full story here.