For the first time, the city of Malacca is expecting tourists numbers to hit 10 million, in the face of its co-listing as a World Heritage Site (with George Town in Penang) in 2008. Malacca was founded in the 15th century under the Malacca Sultanate and was subsequently taken by European powers. Malacca has always been popular as a weekend destination, particularly among tourists from Singapore. How has the massive influx of tourists changed this World Heritage Site?
Bernama, 25 November 2010
For the first time, Melaka is expected to receive as many as 10 million tourists compared with 8.9 million last year.
Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Ali Rustam said up to October this year, the historical state had received 7.8 million tourist arrivals and another 2.2 million were expected in November and December.
“The number of tourists has risen considerably since Melaka was declared a World Heritage Site in July 2008,” he said in his speech at the ‘Session with Eminent Personalities’ organised by the Institute of Management and Integrity, Melaka (Inspim) at a hotel, here, Wednesday night.